killerfemme

A blog of personal reflections, adventures both close to home and far away, political musings and commentary, and thoughts on negotiating life as a twenty-something, queer Mainer transplanted to New York City hoping to write, inspire, teach and change the world.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Fresh Local Maine Greens


Fresh Greens
Originally uploaded by killerfemme
A few weeks ago I went home to Maine to visit my family, including my sister who was home from France. I had just finished reading "Aninal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver and while I was home I read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. The benefits of eating locally and organically were fresh on my mind and this was certainly helped by my Mom's garden. In Maine it was still cool enough to have fresh lettuce. I also made up a cocktail with fresh mint and lime concentrate- 'mohito style' you might call it. But certainly reading both of those books (though I recomend Pollan's over Kingsolvers) has made me much more aware of where my food comes from even if I can't just walk out to the garden and pick it myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home