killerfemme

A blog of personal reflections, adventures both close to home and far away, political musings and commentary, and thoughts on negotiating life as a twenty-something, queer Mainer transplanted to New York City hoping to write, inspire, teach and change the world.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Blogging Resolve

Part of my hopes and goals for 2008 is to write more. I realized I'm in danger of becoming one of those artists who never does the thing that they really want to do (writing in my case) because they are too busy earning their rent money or getting lost in daily distractions. During a phone call with Elissa today she talked about working on her writing while being a public school teacher. They key is to start small, to "use what you have" as Elissa says. Like this blog. So I've decided to rekindle my posting focus and let this blog and the small stories I share about my life as writing warm up. I'm also reading "The Anti 9 to 5 Guide," which is also inspiring me to get off my duff and start writing. So, if you have any suggestions about being a writer AND working a full time job not at all related to writing, please send them my way.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 3:04 AM, Blogger Zohara bat Sarah said…

    All I can say is what I do...I write my blog entries in word before I post them. I only write when an idea really comes together, and that often entails losing a lot of sleep. A phrase will form in my brain, I'll open a word doc, and go from there. Sometime the phrase stays just a phrase, I have dozens of those saved on my desktop waiting to be finished. (I'm also working full time, and back in school, yeck). I sleep extra on other nights to compensate. :) Oh, and I don't have much of a social life. Remember when Gary gave us 10 years to publish a book? What was he thinking? (I don't see how I'm ever going to get there...)

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger L.N.R. said…

    I've learned to value sleep more than I ever did, which might be a problem. I do think it will be more than 10 years until a book (or even a "real" writing job...). I had forgotten Gary had said that, but that's for reminding me. I puts things in perspective a little bit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home