killerfemme

A blog of personal reflections, adventures both close to home and far away, political musings and commentary, and thoughts on negotiating life as a twenty-something, queer Mainer transplanted to New York City hoping to write, inspire, teach and change the world.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

forgetting completely

Today I completely forgot the significance of today's date for some people in the US until I sat down on Gael's windowsill to write in my journal and wrote the date. Hah hah hah happy birthday US, or not, this probably being the best fourth of july I have ever spent since I don't have to acknowledge it at all (and yet I am).

Speaking French is actually not that scary (speaking it correctly being another matter all together), but I am somewhat baffled that anyone could actually understand what I am saying and I know my pronounciation totaly sucks. An example of this being that I totaly confused a waistress in a sushi restaraunt by asking for "suelement concomber, pas de saumon" but my "seulement" (only) sounded too much like "saumon" (salmon) and so I ended up with salmon sushi, which I embarassingly had to explain why I could not eat. But I will always enounciate "seulement" from now on.

The other students at the language school are from countries all over the world, easing my fears somewhat that I would just be surrounded by a bunch of people from the US. It's a nice challenge too because often French is the only language we really have in common and so if I want to have someone to talk to and eat lunch with I have to talk to people in French. It also automatically makes me really open and friendly with people, which is a nice feeling.

Now if only I could always use the correct tenses when I speak that would be awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home